A New Sustainability Program to Support Supplier Diversity
Sustainability • Published on March 13, 2020
Today we’re excited to launch a new sustainability program to support supplier diversity. This program gives diverse carriers access to more business to maximize their earnings.
Advancing carrier diversity means creating a carrier network that reflects the diversity of our customers and their consumers. Our carrier program identifies opportunities for Convoy to recognize and promote historically underrepresented and underutilized groups among our network of carriers.
PROGRAM BENEFITS FOR CARRIERS
- Supplier diversity is important to the transportation industry. Businesses are committed to supplier diversity by maintaining practices that promote and expand job opportunities for diverse suppliers. Over 90% of the Fortune 100 companies have supplier diversity initiatives. In 2017, each Fortune 100 company spent on average $2.9B on diverse suppliers within their supply chain.
- Carriers with this certification have opportunities to work with major shippers.
- Earn more. Diverse certified carriers have access to loads with like-minded customers.
- Access to forums to promote your business.
- Eligibility for recognition and awards that can enhance your business.
“As a small business owner, I look for every opportunity to access freight. When Convoy reached out about their supplier diversity program, I was astounded that there was a certification that could grant me exclusive access to their freight. As a female veteran, this program has the potential to help my company earn more with less hassle.” – Charmaria Gurley, Owner of Gurley All Freight
The program is open nationwide and effective immediately. It’s free to register. If you are a diverse certified carrier, register for our program today to start getting access to more loads.
OUR COMMITMENT TO CARRIER DIVERSITY
“Aligned with our customers, we believe that promoting diverse businesses is pivotal for creating a more inclusive and dynamic industry. We are committed to creating a carrier network centered around purpose and to support our sustainability goal of reducing billions of waste in trucking while also improving the lives of America’s 3 million truck drivers. This new program is another way we are partnering with customers to Ship Responsibly and help them achieve sustainable and profitable growth.” – Jennifer Wong, head of sustainability at Convoy
WHAT IS A DIVERSE CARRIER
We are committed to fostering business partnerships that include Minority Owned Businesses, Women Owned Businesses, People with Disabilities Owned Businesses, Veteran Owned Business, and LGBTQ+ owned businesses. Diverse business means the business is at least 51% owned and controlled/operated by a U.S. Citizen who is part of any of the following traditionally underrepresented or underserved groups:
- African American
- Asian Indian
- Asian Pacific
- Native American
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender
HOW TO GET CERTIFIED
Carriers that qualify as a diverse business can get certified through one of these agencies.
- Women’s Business Enterprises National Council (WBENC)
- National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC)
- Veteran-Owned Businesses (VOSB)
- Service-Disabled Veterans (SDVOSB)
- Small Business Administration (SBA)
- National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC)
As Convoy continues to grow, we are committed to doing our part to increase the diversity of the nation’s digital freight network and our nation’s workforce.
SUSTAINABILITY AT CONVOY
Sustainability at Convoy means driving positive environmental and societal impact to be a great corporate citizen. We are focused on reducing the billions of waste in trucking and supporting the communities where we live and work. Learn more about Convoy’s commitment to Sustainability.
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Sachiv is a supply program manager at Convoy, where he partners with carriers and teams across the company to improve service for our shippers and carriers. Outside of work, Sachiv enjoys soccer, hiking, and rooting on his Tar Heels and Wolverines.
Michael is an Enterprise Account Manager at Convoy, where he partners with our shippers to find ways to optimize and digitally transform their supply chains. Previously, Michael spent his career in the freight forwarding industry, where he worked as a global account and product development manager, after graduating from Marquette University.