Interview series: The Business of Sustainability
Sustainability • Published on July 21, 2020
Today’s executives are dealing with a complex and unprecedented brew of societal, environmental, commercial, and technological challenges — all of which require sophisticated, sustainability-based management. Oftentimes, however, senior management is reluctant to make sustainability core to their company’s business strategy due to the long-standing and incorrect assumption that the costs of sustainability far outweigh the benefits. The reality is that academic research and business experience point to quite the opposite.
Most companies still take a fragmented, reactive, half-hearted approach to sustainability by launching ad hoc initiatives to enhance their “green” credentials, comply with regulations, or deal with emergencies rather than making sustainability a significant factor which does indeed have a direct impact on their bottom line. This viewpoint is no longer valid.
Deeply embedded sustainability efforts clearly result in a positive impact on business performance. At Convoy, our mission is to transport the world’s goods with endless capacity and zero waste. We believe in being able to grow a business while improving the environment and society as a whole at the same time. We are able to haul millions of truckloads across the country while reducing costs for shippers, increasing pay for truck drivers, and reducing billions of waste for our planet. The key is in taking a different approach to the business of sustainability.
A handful of companies are indeed capturing significant value by systematically integrating sustainability into their operations. We believe the trend is clear: more businesses will have to take a long-term strategic view of sustainability and incorporate it into the key value creation levers which drive returns on capital, growth, and risk management, as well as the key organizational elements that support the levers. Each company’s path to capturing value from sustainability will be unique, but these underlying elements can serve as a universal starting point.
Convoy’s “Business of Sustainability” interview series provides a valuable opportunity to hear directly from leaders on how they have transformed corporate cultures, demonstrated material value, and positioned their companies as sustainability leaders.
- Putting sustainability into practice
- Integrating sustainability across the business
- Aligning sustainability with business impact
- Starting a sustainability culture
- Sustainability and shareholder value
- Driving competitive advantage through stakeholder engagement
- Improving risk management
- Fostering innovation
- Improving financial performance
- Building customer loyalty
- Attracting and engaging employees
Speakers include –
- Harshad Kavninde, Practice lead – Strategy & Supply Chain at Slalom Consulting
- Antionio Davis, CEO, AI Logistics and retired National Basketball Association player, former president of the NBA Players Association
- Marty McKinzie, VP of Industry Relations at Dairy MAX
- Ryan Emmons, CEO, Waiākea
- Kendis Paris, Executive Director/Co-Founder at Truckers Against Trafficking
- Debra Vernon, Senior Director, Corporate Social Responsibility at Tyson Foods
- Annie Agle, Director of Impact and Brand at Cotopaxi
- Danielle Jezienicki, Director of Sustainability at Grove Collaborative
- Julie Verdugo, Director of Sustainability + Social Impact at Free People
- Katherine Pickus, VP of Global Sustainability at Griffith Foods
- Christine Riley Miller, Director of Sustainability at Samsonite
- Amy Blyth, Director, Program Development and Partnerships at Fair Trade USA
- Tiila Abbitt, Founder and CEO at Aether Beauty Co
- Mia Davis, Director of Environmental and Social Responsibility at Credo Beauty
- Danika Padilla, Director of Social Impact at Meow Wolf
- Mary Engvall, Senior Director of Corporate Responsibility at Cigna
- Thomas Heckroth, Director of Strategic & Responsible Sourcing at Stitch Fix
- Yalmaz Siddiqui, Vice President of Corporate Sustainability at MGM Resorts International
- Wylie Robinson, Founder and CEO at Rumpl
- Jane Franch, Director, Strategic Sourcing & Sustainability at Numi Organic Tea
- Angela Hultberg, Head of Sustainable Mobility at Ingka Group I IKEA
- Gretchen Gran, Regeneration & Sustainability Lead at Guayaki Sustainable Rainforest Products, Inc.
- Nira Johri, Director of Sustainability at Rich Products Corporation
- Jeff Smith, Vice President of Sustainability at Six Sense Hotels Resorts Spas
- Kelly Fisher, SVP/head of corporate sustainability at HSBC
- John Sadlier, Chief Sustainability Officer at Ardagh
- Bryan Pape, CEO at Miir
- Zach Freeze, Sr. Director, Strategic Initiatives, Sustainability at Walmart
- Stay tuned for more speakers to be announced
Convoy provides shippers reliable, flexible, and instant capacity when they need it most. Learn more about shipping with Convoy today.
SUSTAINABILITY AT CONVOY
Sustainability at Convoy means driving positive environmental and societal impact. We are focused on reducing the billions of waste in trucking and supporting the communities where we live and work. Visit www.convoy.com/sustainability to learn about Convoy’s commitment to Sustainability.