In February 2021 Convoy surveyed 474 small and mid-sized trucking companies across the United States to collect a snapshot of sustainability in trucking. Survey participants include dispatchers for fleets and owner-operators. All the results are self reported by the participants.
Survey highlights include key trends in trucking and new data insights:
- 36% of carriers feel pressured to reduce carbon emissions in their business. The top sources of pressure include:
- 22% government regulation
- 21% more awareness of the impact of carbon emissions
- 10% personal motivation
- 7% reduce operating costs.
- 23% of carriers noted that global climate change is affecting their communities a great deal
- 17% of carriers have completed an eco-driving fuel efficiency training program. Of those who have completed eco-driving training:
- 46% feel pressure to reduce carbon emissions in their business
- 92% believe fuel economy is important when purchasing a truck
- 32% believe climate change is affecting their community a great deal
- 75% of carriers rate fuel economy as an important consideration when purchasing a truck
- This percentage increased to 94% for those who are considering purchasing a truck within the next year
- 16% of respondents believe fuel efficiency is somewhat important when purchasing a truck
- 2% rate fuel efficiency as not important when purchasing a truck
- 7% have a neutral opinion of the importance of fuel efficiency when purchasing a truck
- 50% of carriers plan to buy a truck in the next year, up from 33% who planned to buy a truck in the next year as reported in our November 2020 survey.
- However it’s important to note that purchasing plans often fail to materialize. Assuming a truck has a lifespan of about 10-15 years, you would expect 6%-10% of respondents to upgrade in a given year
- There are still barriers preventing carriers from purchasing an electric truck. The top barriers include:
- 58% believe it’s too expensive
- 37% distance limits
- 34% charging infrastructure.
- 17% of carriers do not see any barriers to purchasing an electric truck
Download this Sustainability in Trucking Snapshot report to see the full data for sustainability trends in trucking.
Sustainability at Convoy We are focused on reducing the billions of waste in trucking and supporting the communities where we live and work. Visit www.convoy.com/sustainability to learn about Convoy’s commitment to Sustainability.