At Convoy, innovating deliberately is one of our core values, with an emphasis on creating products and features that improve the operations of shippers and the lives of carriers. To put this into action across the company, we dedicate a full week each year to take big swings and focus on projects that drive impact in the freight industry. We call it Moonshot Week and the 2019 iteration just concluded with over 90 unique projects developed by multi-disciplinary teams that spanned engineering, marketing, operations, product, sales and other functions from across our Seattle and Atlanta offices.
“Moonshot week is one of the most exciting times to be at Convoy. Every year we see an incredible amount of bottoms-up innovation produced by teams collaborating across the company, bringing together multiple perspectives and specialties and all leading to great outcomes for our shippers and carriers. It’s magic!” -Grant Goodale, Convoy co-founder and Chief Technology Officer
After Moonshot Week, many projects are further developed and launched publicly, including the following from last year:
- Developed key load batching features, which has helped scaled our Automated Reloads program to over 50% in top lanes and reducing empty and the carbon emissions from these loads by 45%
- Created automated counter-bidding feature to improve the carrier experience when bidding on loads, helping carriers find loads at the rates that work for them
- Launched Convoy Radio, a podcast focused on trucking news and interviews with transportation industry leaders
- Increased the efficiency of our marketplace by developing technologies (including voice) that automate appointment setting, a persistent problem in the industry
- Built “Convoy in a Box”, an innovative solution to help new engineers onboard and accelerate the development of new features to shippers and carriers
We’re already planning Moonshot Week 2020 and expect the number of projects and employee participation to continue to grow. Interested in joining our team focused on building innovative solutions in the freight industry? Check out and apply for our open roles here.